05 November 2010

Are You Ruled By Your Hair?


June 16, 2009 — Music video by India.Arie performing I Am Not My Hair. (C) 2006 Motown Records, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc.

This is a powerful song. We shouldn't limit ourselves to just one attribute, especially if it's physical, but we should embrace the total package. Of course, we all have individual characteristics that we or someone else might adore, yet we shouldn't focus on being narcissistic.

What can you say about having hair? Some days when I wake up, I can't wait to style my hair. If I am in a funky mood or just in a hurry, I go to my backup plan- my assorted collection of wigs. They have saved me numerous times, considering that I don't have relaxed hair. I can change up my style any time.

Hair is a physical attribute that has its highs and lows. It's all about your attitude. I have seen beautiful people with and without hair. It's all about preference. I do know that people without hair do not have to worry about the same things as those of us who do. I've also known people who are completly obsessed with their hair; they couldn't do anything without slinging, touching, or lovingly admiring themselves- mainly their hair- in a mirror.

Personally, I know my hair's limitations. There are certain styles that I wouldn't even attempt to tackle. I know what I like and don't like. I can honestly say that there have been times where I considered cutting off all of my hair, much to the displeasure of my family and friends. For now, I am satisfied and thankful for what I do have.

Most of us are aware of the debate regarding natural vs. relaxed hair. I won't get into it right now, but it's all about choices. I believe that you should wear your hair any way that you want; it's your decision. You should be aware of the pros and cons in any decision that you make, whether about your hair, your body, what you eat, etc.


Bottom line, JUST BE YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

shareaholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...